Thursday, December 22, 2005

The Great Latka Lunch and Leadership Institute Presentation


Well, on Thursday December 22nd a colleague of mine and I pulled off a very successful Latka lunch at our office. However, it was not without its hitches. As my life would have it, on Wednesday night I had engagements till 10 p.m. in the community which meant that I got a late start on cooking the latkas last night. Sure enough I was up till 2 p.m. cooking this popular seasonal dish and to top it off, my first batch had to go into the trash. I don't know what happened, but they would not bind together, so I had to add additional moisture by adding more onions, I love onions!

Regarless of that rocky start I did manage to cook about 50 latkas, whee, that was a lot. My colleague Randi cooked an additional 35 and we brought them in on Thursday morning. We had made prior arrangements with the building cafeteria to have them heat them up for us, which was fantastic of them. Kudo's to Jeff the owner of the building cafeteria - "you are the best." Of course, we gave him some of the delicious latkas to enjoy.

My department manager volunteered to provide a great salad to go with the latkas. We also provided refreshments, apple sauce and sour cream. I am proud to say, it was a great hit. Adding to this gastronomic event, my department (I'm the director) presented on a project that we have funded which is a leadership institute for priority populations to further engage them in reducing the harm that tobacco causes their communities. It all was a great hit, if I say so myself. This is the third year Randi and I have done this luncheon, but I actually began this over 10 years ago at the state university where I serve as board member. Every year in December I was one of two cooks to prepare latkas for over 100 students and faculty...whee, that was a task.

Anyway, I have continued this tradition on Hanukkah at my workplace, but for a much smaller audience. Our colleagues were very appreciative of our treat and have asked us to continue this activity which creates community in a very fast paced and tough work environment.

Thanks for reading this entry, I don't boast about my successes in public, but this seems okay to do in this venue.

Everyone have a safe and wonderful Holiday Season, whatever your religious perspective.

1 Comments:

At 2:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think what you do is fantastic, I believe that tobacco use is just terrible, my father died from smoking and so many others.
I also think it's a lovely thing do cook up those latkas, sorry it didnt go too well at first but it seems that the hard work was worth it. Merry Christmas to you and your family too and a happy new year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home